Saturday, July 12, 2008

Broadway Barks!

I left work today around 5:30 and headed to Times Square to get tickets to a few shows Megan and I are going to see when she visits in two weeks. First of all, I got great seats for all three shows and I didn't pay full price for any of them! HA! It's cause I'm awesome!

On my way from one theatre to the next, I cut through Shubert Alley between 44th and 45th Streets. Normally it's a big empty street, open only to foot traffic with some people going in and out of the B'way gift shop and a restuarant called Juniors. Today however, was apparently the annual "Broadway Barks" event where the charity Broadway Cares teams up with the ASPCA and other animal shelters in the city to get dogs and cats adopted.

It took all my will power not to adopt the adorable white and tan Yorkie/Maltese puppie (i.e. SCUTTLE!!!!). I just kept telling myself that I am not home enough for that ball of cuteness. Maybe one day. Sigh. It makes me happy to say that each year they run out of puppies and kittens at the event cause SO MANY people try to adopt them that they have waiting lists for all the shelters afterwards. Good to know that the pseudo-Scuttle will get a good home. You should have heard the "awws" when Nathan Lane was talking about him.

I did however take a picture on my cell while I shimmied between people to get through. This normal short cut took a lot longer than if I had just walked to the end of the block, up a street and over again.


Nathan Lane is in the blue shirt in the center, reading of the info for the shelter. The girls on either side of him are holding two Yorkie/Maltese mixes. Mary Tyler Moore and Bernadette Peters founded this event (10 years ago?) and are standing on the right, Mary in the white and black and Bernadette in the red tank and jeans. I also saw Peter Galagher right before Nathan Lane, but didn't have time to get a pic of him. He stared on the tv show The O.C. as the dad and was recently in a play on b'way.

3 comments:

Gramama said...

There must have been a way to get the dog for me. I do have a birthday coming up. An oversight on your part?

Sydney said...

Um, I remember buying you a wind chime for you for your birthday............

And I think the plane ticket to get the puppy to you would have cost mroe than the dog itself. And more than is in my budget for extra expenses per month.

Gramama said...

OK! And it looks mighty pretty hanging in the back.