Monday, December 22, 2008

Oh My God! It's Stephen Sondheim!!!

Name that movie reference! I'll give you a hint- it premiered at the Sundance film festival and I own the DVD. Anybody? Anybody? Nobody.

In case you didn't know, the hard drive on my laptop crashed and I haven't had a computer for almost TWO full weeks. It's devastating, I know. So, I am writing this from the Audio Storage room at The Public (i.e. a cave-ish room in the basement next to the theater Road Show is in).

Sunday the 14th, Road Show only had a matinee performance. Normally, I would try and see a show that night or have dinner with friends, but I had much more important plans--no offense to my friends. I, Sydney, was invited to a holiday party at Stephen Sondheim's home. Yes, you read that correctly. THE STEPHEN SONDHEIM. And let me tell you, it was pretty damn cool. He was so friendly and personable and answered everyone's questions about everything--and I'm talking about a group of theater people, so nothing was held back.

He told us about how Katherine Hepburn used to live next door and they would argue about him playing his piano at all hours of the night. Oh, and his grand piano, is Leonard Bernstein's, as in genius musical theatre writer of West Side Story Leonard Bernstein. So of course, we ALL took pictures sitting behind the piano. One of the actors I dress began playing the chord part of Heart and Soul, so I had to jump on and play the melody. In retrospect, I feel like I somewhat violated that piano. So many amazing works have been written on it (Sweeney Todd, Into the Woods, Company, etc) and we played Heart and Soul. Really? Really.

His brownstone has a back garden that connects to all the others on the block to make it 20 total and it is absolutely gorgeous. The entire first floor is decorated with his game collection. A friend gave him this 19th century board game once and he got hooked. Now he's got this crazy big collection on shelves, mantels and framed on the walls.

People were trickling out for about a half hour or so, so we got the impression that it was time to leave. I had been taking to one of the production stage management assistants about how I wanted to ask for a photo with him, but I didn't want to be intrusive. After deciding that I would regret it if I didn't ask, I did and he said of course! So now we both have photos with STEPHEN SONDHEIM!!! They're currently stuck on my camera, but hopefully that will change soon.

Hope you all have a wonderful Christmas, Hanukkah, Kwanzaa and Winter Solstice!!!

2 comments:

Gramama said...

I do miss you on the computer!

Michelle said...

I am so glad to hear you got pictures. Sometimes I look back and regret not being a cornball and getting more pictures with cool people I have met. You might feel silly asking but youu will be glad you did later!